As planned, I made it to the coast yesterday. At a nice little beach that my fiancée and I "found" one one of our first trips to the coast together, I got out my tail and look several pictures. With it being summer and the sun being out, there were of course a lot of people.
The most amount of attention came from a group of young men; probably in their early 20's. They had stripped down to their swimming trunks and gotten into the water near where I was. While they were exploring sea caves is when I got into my position for the dry shoot photos (on a rock, out of the water.) When they came back, I could hear them shouting "Mermaid! Mermaid!" I ignored their shouting at first and kept working, but they pointed out some sea caves that I could take pictures in. (I didn't since I could not control the currents and there were a lot of rocks.)
More attention fell on me from little children. While I did not see her, my fiancée and cameraman stated that she stood on the beach and just watched me, completely enchanted. I cannot imagine how enchanted she would be with me being stuck in the small waves, being rolled around like a barrel, with tiny copepods biting my skin.
Those copepods were the worst! I would have stayed in the water longer than I had if I had not had to deal with those little copepods. They crawled on my tail and arms. I thought they were adorable at first, but when they started to bite I knew otherwise! Hmph!
Even though I only saw good responces to people seeing my tail, I could not help but think of how much better I would have looked in a more realistic tail: something where when the fabric got wet my legs were better hidden. I know what I need to do to get one: get a job. Sadly, with my other bills and things from school, it may be a long time until I get those funds... and I still have to find that job. Even with a Master's degree, finding one is proving difficult...
At least I had fun this time. I need to do it more often... Minus the copepods.

Well I totally understand you job-wise. I started my PhD just because I couldn't find a job.
ReplyDeleteBut you still are a really lovely mermaid. :)